You are here: Home | North America | Canada
Canada Travel Guide
Last updated: May 2020
The history of Canada extends all the way back to 14,000 years ago when Native Americans migrated here by way of the Bering land bridge. First Nations and Inuit populations lived here for a long time until Canada was colonized by France and England. The influence of multiple areas has created a very multicultural nation. Both French and English are official languages of Canada. There are 10 different provinces in Canada, each one with so much to offer. You will want to discover the various history, culture, nature, and gastronomy of each province. The Travelling Souk is here to take you on a virtual tour, but we guarantee you will be packing your bags to head to Canada soon enough.
Places to Visit in Canada
Canada is known for being the second-largest country in the world by size. This means that there is a wide variety of places to visit. From coast to coast, there are incredible towns dotting the map. However, here at The Travelling Souk, our top three places would have to be Vancouver, Banff National Park, and Niagara Falls.
- Vancouver is a vibrant and diverse city on the western side of Canada, located across the border from Seattle, Washington. You can swim in the ocean and snow ski in the mountains within a day’s drive from Vancouver.
- Banff National Park is located to the east of Vancouver in the Rocky Mountains. The alpine lakes and stunning mountain peaks are so refreshing for your soul.
- Niagara Falls lies across the border from New York on the eastern side of Canada. The Ontario side of the Falls is called Horseshoe falls and it definitely offers the best views and attractions.
Things to Do in Canada
The Travelling Souk has toured many of the provinces in Canada. There is so much to do that you can come back again and again. We had a hard time narrowing down the list of things to do, but we will try!
- Vancouver: Walk along the Capilano Suspension Bridge, relax and rest in Stanley Park, and visit Granville Island to do some shopping. Whale watching is also popular during the winter months.
- Province of Alberta: Hike in Banff National Park, explore the festival city of Edmonton, and visit the world’s largest rodeo at the Calgary Stampede. There are several world-class ski resorts located in Alberta.
- Province of Manitoba: Home to many lakes and rivers, which offers the opportunity for hunting, fishing, and boating. Visit the Churchill on the Hudson Bay to see polar bears or beluga whales.
- Toronto: The largest and most multicultural city in Canada. There are many local boutiques, delicious eateries, cultural and historical museums, and vibrant bars/clubs. About an hour and a half drive from Toronto you can also visit the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, which is personally our favorite.
So what are you waiting for?
It’s time to start planning your trip to Canada! Don’t know where to start? Follow our guides and articles to start narrowing down your travel plans. Pick your dates, book your transportation, decide where you will stay, and make reservations for things to do. We have recommendations for all of these and more in our articles you can follow below.
Back to overview