Top 10 Things to Do in Amsterdam Banner

10 Things to Do in Amsterdam

The list is truly endless for things to do in Amsterdam. It is a major world city with fabulous cultural and historical significance. If you are planning a trip to this canal city, then here are the things you will not want to miss. 

10 Things to Do in Amsterdam Rijksmuseum

#1 Rijksmuseum

If you are in really into art history, then you might want to spend all day in the Rijksmuseum. The museum has famous paintings from Vermeer, Rembrandt, and Van Gogh as well as many other Dutch masters. There are also other exhibits that change seasonally, so check the website before you go to see what will be available. During peak travel season, you will want to get tickets online so that you don't waste time waiting in line. They don't allow backpacks inside, but they have a storage room and lockers if you need them.

 

#2 Van Gogh Museum

The Van Gogh Museum is extremely popular, so you will want to reserve your tickets ahead of time. They only allow a certain amount of guests in at a time, so even if you have a museum card, you will still want to reserve your space. This museum has many popular Van Gogh paintings, such as The Potato Eaters.

 

10 Things to Do in Amsterdam Vondelpark

#3 Vondelpark

Take a break from the sightseeing and go hang out in Vondelpark. You will see people relaxing all over the lawn, eating a picnic with friends and family, playing frisbee, and just enjoying a beautiful day in Amsterdam. There is a teahouse in the middle of the park if you need a break.

 

#4 Anne Frank House

Even if you have read the Anne Frank Diary, there is truly nothing like standing in the actual room where Anne Frank and her family hid from the Nazis. The museum is guided via an audio tour that takes a little over one hour. You will get the opportunity to explore the annex where her family hid, listen to real interviews from the people who helped hide her family, and see the original diary pages. Tickets are only sold online and sell out fast. About 80% of tickets are pre-sold online. However, each morning the remaining 20% of tickets are released online at 9:00 am. If you sign on exactly at 9:00 am, you should be able to tickets for the day. The time slots are in 15-minute intervals so that the museum doesn't get too crowded. 

 

10 Things to Do in Amsterdam Brouwerij tIJ

#5 Brouwerij 't IJ

Brouwerij 't IJ is a small, local craft brewery in Amsterdam. It is located in a former bathhouse and next to the De Gooyer windmill. It brews eight standard beers and three seasonal beers, all of which are organic. The food here is really good, you can get tasting platters to try some traditional Dutch snacks, cheeses, and sausages. You can sign up for tours to explore the brewery. The brewery is named after the Amsterdam waterfront, called "Het IJ" or "The IJ" in English.

 

#6 De Pijp

The coolest neighborhood in Amsterdam would have to be De Pijp. This district is filled with trendy cafes, diverse restaurants, and quirky boutiques. The Albert Cuypmarket is here, which is a 300-stall open-air market that is open every day of the week. You can find many of the traditional Dutch delicacies at this market. If you are looking to escape the super tourist-y areas of Amsterdam and feel like a real local, then head over to De Pijp neighborhood.

 

10 Things to Do in Amsterdam Canal Cruise

#7 Canal Cruise

There are so many canal cruises to choose from. It is best to book them in advance because they are so popular. The canal cruises will share the history of Amsterdam and give you a unique perspective of this special city.

 

#8 De Hallen

In the trendy Amsterdam Oud-West area is a converted industrial building called De Hallen. There is a cinema complex, boutique hotel, independent fashion stores, a weekly indoor craft market, and a huge food hall. The food hall has so many different places to eat, ranging from Dim Sum, to BBQ, to Spanish tapas. Some nights there is even live music and they open up a dance floor. Locals love hanging out at De Hallen and you will, too!

10 Things to Do in Amsterdam Blue Amsterdam

#9 Blue Amsterdam

At the top of an indoor mall is this cool cafe overlooking the city of Amsterdam. It can be a popular place, so it might take a bit to find a table. But once you sit down, you won't want to leave. The food and drinks here are really good and the views are just so stunning. 

 

#10 Jordaan

If you want to explore local boutiques and wonderful eateries, then Jordaan is your neighborhood. The area is made up of the "Nine Streets" with canals crossing between them. There are so many perfect picture spots and it offers a stunning look at the building styles from the Dutch Golden Age.

Back to overview